Built in 1859, it is the only original building of a university chartered by the Republic of Texas still standing. The two-story building of modified Grecian architecture closely resembles the University of Virginia buildings and is a Texas State Historical Landmark. Except for two years during and after the Civil War, the building has been in continuous use for educational purposes. It has full kitchen facilities. There are two downstairs rooms that can each comfortably accommodate up to 116 people, as well as two small upstairs rooms. No alcoholic beverages are allowed.